Tablescapes, Home Decor, Thrifting, Cooking

Saturday, January 3, 2009

January, a time for a fresh start

Fresh as new fallen snow, what could be more inspiring to an eternal optimist than January of a new year?? No mistakes yet...no broken resolutions...only hope for the year that lies before us. Like so many of you fellow bloggers, I have come to realize through the years that resolutions don't always work. Therefore this year I will change my plan of attack. I still feel January should be a month to reevaluate our inner souls to see what we can do differently this year. There's always room for improvement, right? I have decided to make a list of everything I can think of I would like to do this year. Then each month I plan to look at this list and choose the items to tackle during that time period. No, it's nothing earth shattering but for me who always struggles with organization it is a new start. These will be doable goals that just might get done!
Our church has gone through much turmoil in the past eighteen months or so. This past November we received the gift of a wonderful and highly motivated pastor. I have taken on volunteer work at the church. Doing what, you ask? Working on the decorating committee as well as being the lady in charge of flowers at both church locations!! Right up my alley, huh? :)
I'll save more deep January thinking for next time. Until then I'm off to read three chapters in the Bible. Our new pastor is encouraging us to read the Bible in chronological order this year.
Enjoy this fresh January 3rd calendar entry in your own way.
What are YOU doing to make things better this year?

10 comments:

Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity said...

I do miss working at the floral shop. I use to do flowers for 7 churches. It is fun, isn't it!!

I really don't believe in making new years resolutions. But, I do have a goal to keep in contact with my family out of state a little better.
Hugs, Terrie

Unknown said...

That sounds like a great way to handle "non-resolutions". The list can keep my accountable and hopefully I'll get to most of the items on my list.

Congratulations on your new position at your church. They definitely picked the right lady! Happy New Year!

Cathy said...

Donna, great post! Good for you volunteering at your church, great place to use your floral gift.

Getting fit is a top priority for me this year and a family bowling night. Bowling, silly? I love to bowl, it's been years since we gone, but I think it will be a fun family activity.

Cathy

southerninspiration said...

Well,Miss Donna, I do like your idea for tackling those projects!! great idea! Let's help one another, ok?
Hope your Christmas holiday was enjoyable with your grandsons! Looking forward to a new year of blogging with you!!
Suzanne

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

I never made resolutions as they are too easy to break..but I do hope to get rid of alot of things in my home this year to made it easier for me to clean..and spend more time with my family..great post..hugs and smiles Gloria

Melissa Miller said...

HI DONNA,
~WOW~ WHAT AN IMPRESSIVE VIEW YOU HAVE! SERENE.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE WELL WISHES.
HOPE YOUR NEW YEAR IS BLESSED AND WONDERFUL AS WELL.

I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO READING MORE OF YOUR LOVELY BLOG IN 09'.
~MELISSA :)

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Sounds like you're off to a good start! I think the idea of a list instead of resolutions is a good one. Lists are somehow less intimidating. You can move things around on a list and not feel like a failure! Have a great weekend...Debbie

Kristens Creations said...

Hi Donna, Yes, January is a fresh start! The list is a great idea. I have alot to organize, starting with closets. They are awful! Sounds like a great thing you are doing for the church! Kristen

artis1111 said...

Loved the bike at Christmas. Great idea!. Kathy

Chrissy...The Apothecary Shop said...

Indeed, we all need fresh starts!! As long as we can be the best we can at all we do....take care!