Tablescapes, Home Decor, Thrifting, Cooking

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

I'm Back from Dallas Market

Here's just a slight view of Dallas Gift Market. It is absolutely enormous and this only gives you a slight feel for what it's like. My friends and I truly walked and walked for a good part of five days.

We found that PURPLES are back in along with YELLOWS.
GREEN
is still very much in and I found this article you might enjoy.
Many homeowners this year will update their homes by taking on do-it-yourself projects using green, environmentally friendly materials. Are you green enough?

In Monograms Mirrors – Venetian, etched or printed with graphics Traditional prints in larger scales and bolder colors Geometrics Document-printed linen fabrics Bohemian look, Ikats Over-the-top wallpaper patterns The updated wingback chair (sleek lines, overstated frame) Cheeseboards, platters, bowls Spectacular serving pieces Natural edge cutting boards Small tables with branch legs Wooden twisted stools Twisted wooden lamps Metal serveware Decorative bathroom rugs Reversible Soumak rugs Bigger lamps, interesting shades and bases Window treatments Art with interesting mats Vintage look in large distressed wood or iron accessories Walnut finishes Leather Mercury glass Recycled glass Animal prints Owls Penguins Monkeys Buddhas Scent diffusers Soy and beeswax candles Eames-era modern design Old-fashioned board games Rustic glamour Mixing styles and periods Modern nostalgia Spare, simple design, punctuated with touches of luxury The eclectic urban loft look Living rooms as lounges All shades of green Black/white/gray/silver Gray/charcoal/pewter paired with clear bright colors Copper and bronze Jewel tones Rusty reds, tangerines Pinks, violets and lavenders Nature themes Permanent botanicals Unique side tables Antiques and found objects Chinese antiques Decorative down pillows Velvets, linens, cotton, silk and bamboo fabrics Anything eco- or environmentally-friendly Charity; cause-related shopping Made in the USA, made locally Fair trade products Handmade/artisan items Eco-friendly packaging Salvaging, reclaiming, repurposing; recycled anything Organic materials, natural fibers Comfort Useful, thoughtful gifting Frugality Value Understated elegance Customer appreciation

Out

High maintenance furniture High maintenance anything Manufacturers without eco-friendly and ethically responsible practices Luxury niche products Unnecessary extravagance Muddy earth tones Shiny gold Outdated product packaging The Victorian vintage look Too many flowers in floral arrangements Case goods painted with floral motifs Resin accessories Boring lamps Boring lampshades Super-traditional fabrics Floral fabric prints Small picture frames Nautical and shell themes Cheap imports; cheap imitations Excessively large artwork Excessive consumption Country Primitive Shabby Collectibles Entire name imprints Rooms saturated with mirrored furniture pieces Deep cherry finishes Matchy-matchy Keeping up with the Joneses Over-priced anything Negativity

The mood in showrooms was a little cautious. I noticed fewer selections from some vendors and others didn't seem to care...they were packed full of merchandise to select from. Some sales reps said the market was very good, that people were buying while others said it was the worse market ever. So who should we listen to? I bought enough but not too much this time. It's easy to go overboard, but I think I bought enough to have new choices but without having regrets when the UPS truck starts appearing!

17 comments:

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

I'm go glad you made it back ok. It looks like you had a wonderful time. Market can be over whelming. Our market here isn't quite that large, but you can sure do alot of walking. :-) Your article was so interesting. Thanks for sharing. hugs ~lynne~

southerninspiration said...

Oh, I want to see what you bought!! Interesting info. Thanks, friend.

Suzanne

Melissa Miller said...

Hi Donna, Very cool post. Thanks for sharing this with us.
Kristen also posted pics of the market. NEAT!
~Melissa :)

Cathy said...

Welcome home! Thanks for sharing about your trip. Interesting article.

Cathy

Anonymous said...

WOW, that place is H U G E just like everything else in TX...

Thanks for sharing, sounds like you had a good trip !! Will you show us what you bought when UPS lands ???

Now go soak those dogs !!!

Kathy :)

Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity said...

Donna, Welcome back. It sounds like you had a very busy trip. That is a huge place to walk. I would have loved to had been there. I read that purple, blues and even mauves are working their way back into decor for 2009. So, your information was very interesting. I hope you'll show us what you bought.
Hugs, Terrie

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Donna, I don't know how you ever make a decision. This just looks so overwhelming to me. Thanks for sharing what's in and what's out. I'm afraid that I'll always be "out"! laurie

Kristens Creations said...

Hi Donna, I think I saw myself in the first picture hanging over one of those rails.LOL!! I'm always overwhelmed when I go to market....there is just so much! I stayed in cash n carry most of the time.It sounds like you had a great trip! Kristen

Tardevil said...

It's a good thing for my husband that I didn't go....I would have thought I died and went to heaven...at least until the credit card bill came in! :O) Hope you had a BLAST!

Wendy said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm glad I popped over!

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Welcome back girl..and WOW!! I would't know where to start..thanks for the infro of whats in and out...looks like I made the out list again..but hey I am happy that way..hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Donna...Did you see Kristen while you were there? You both had almost the same post! lol...Debbie

Kristens Creations said...

Hi Donna, I sure do wish we would have exchanged numbers! If I go in June, maybe we can meet. We probably did pass each other! Darn! Talk to you soon, Kristen

Cami @ Creating Myself said...

Welcome back! I'd like to see what you bought also. Sounds like a lot of work but it sounds like fun too.

Debra from Bungalow said...

Very interesting post. I'd like to see what you got. I'm always interested in hearing about the latest trends.....everything does come back if you give it time.
The place looks huge. I bet you had a great time.
DebraK

Bo said...

Hi Donna...So, too many florals or painted florals are out...phooey! I guess I'll be out then...but then that's nothing new for me...
LOL...;-) Bo

Jerri Lynn @ Southern Sassyness said...

OOO..love this post! I never have been to Market - always wanted to go, but have been told it is incredibly overwhelming!

Thanks for the new IN/OUT list. I am scouring craigslist for a large wingback chair that I can recover!