Tablescapes, Home Decor, Thrifting, Cooking

Monday, August 3, 2009

A facelift for something old

Hey there fellow bloggers.  I’m sorry I’m late getting this post up today but such is life.  I’m joining Rhoda at Southern Hospitality for Today’s Thrifty Treasures.  As always, Rhoda has outdone herself on great finds.  She truly is a huge inspiration for Southerners as well as every other region of our country. :)

 

I had spotted an old tray in a thrift store recently but continued to pass it by.  It was rather worn looking and needed some adjusting and for some reason I just didn’t focus in on it’s inner beauty right at first.  There’s something about trays that I am always drawn to however.

 

For about three weeks I kept noticing this piece and would always stop to pick it up and realized it did actually have great potential.  Not only was one handle crooked, there was scratched glass and hunter green velvet wedged in between some old cardboard.  It had a ratty looking wire on the back, making me think someone had placed an old keepsake inside and hung it on the wall.

 

Well last week it was marked down half price and I decided it was going home with me.  I got it for $5.00.

 

mirrored tray 001

 

 

On one side the handle was barely holding on with two nails that were too long for the tray.  My sweet husband looked in his garage and found a variety of short screws.  I found two that would work and made the handle fit nicely as it should.  I used some mild cleaner and wiped it down.

 

 

mirrored tray 002

 

 

 

Next I took the tray into a local glass store and asked them to add a mirror and to change out the scratched glass.  They charged me right at $14 for glass, mirror and labor.  So for just under $20 I now have a simply gorgeous mirrored OLD tray that is very beautiful to me.  I can see endless uses for this beauty.

 

 

 

mirrored tray 005

 

 

Here is the current summertime look it is proud to hold.

mirrored tray 004

 

I’m sure it will be stunning no matter what the season.  Don’t you think??

mirrored tray 003

18 comments:

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Donna, thanks for joining in today. I love your old/new mirror tray, that turned out great.

Unknown said...

See now, I would have totally passed that by. I love your "vision"

Domestic Designer said...

It is just lovely and I love the zinnias too! Have a great evening!

southerninspiration said...

Anything you touch you make pretty, Miss Donna, and this is no exception. I love it!

Suzanne

Anonymous said...

What a great idea and it looks so elegant - I love it! Autumn will be fun to decorate it especially.

Shauna said...

Neat idea, it turned out nice!

Unknown said...

I love the tray. It turned out lovely.

Cynthia

Miss Laura Lu/RMS4291960 said...

You did so good! It's beautiful! God Bless! Lauralu :)

stitching under oaks said...

good for you! So great to see potential in something that's been cast off! Your tray is a classic and I'm sure it will be used many times over!

Sue said...

Donna, your tray turned out just lovely. Even with the cost of the new mirror, it is truly a thrifty find and a gorgeous embellishment to the table. It'll be fun to decorate with for the seasons...
:-) Sue

Susie Q said...

What a lovely new/old treasure! I love it and what you have done WITH it! I know you will have fun decorating with it all througout the year.
I popped in after Sue Sullivan left me your link! I just registered as a follower so I can stay in touch!
The yellow bike in your header is so cute !!!

Love,
Sue

Melissa Miller said...

Hi Donna,
Thank you so much for the sweet
B-day wishes and for entering my giveaway! I really appreciate it. You aren't late at all my friend.
I meant to come by here earlier and tell you about it and it slipped my mind. I'm so glad you entered!

What an elegant mirrored tray you had made. What a find! It is really a unique and gorgeous piece. I love how you arranged it too. ~Lovely.

Have a blessed evening.
~Melissa :)

PS It's my 44th tomorrow!

marmielu said...

That turned out wonderfully! You did such a nice job sprucing it up. I've had that experience of seeing something over and over at the thrift store until you finally get it because it keeps calling you.
Mary Lou

sheila from life @ #17 said...

so, Donna, that tray looks amazing! it look more like a $100 tray than a made-over $5 tray...and I love trays too :)

Melissa Miller said...

Thank you so much for the sweet B-day wishes Donna! I had a wonderful day!

Can I just tell you I am floored by the response to my giveaway.
I can't believe it...Bloggers are such kind heated people. :)

Melissa Miller said...

Oops. kind "hearted" people...:)

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Donna! What a wonderful mirrored tray you now have! It's nice that you could see the inner beauty! Happy weekend...Debbie

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

That looks fabulous! I would probably have never seen the potential in it. laurie