Tablescapes, Home Decor, Thrifting, Cooking

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Vivid Colors with Black

 

Tablescape Thurs 

 

 

Susan at Between Naps on the Porch is hosting another Tablescape Thursday for all of us “dish people”.  I’m just thrilled that she presents this faithfully each week, because I never tire of looking at everyone’s dishes and how you present them.  So once again, Thanks, Susan! :)

 

The majority of my Tablescapes are casual and today’s presentation is no exception. 

 

My daughter was coming over and she has caught the dish bug and always appreciates a pretty setting.

 

 

My inspiration this week??

Strawberry plates 002

This deep golden sunset yellow topper.  Last week while birthday shopping I was in Charlotte Rousse.  They had a clearance bin with scarves, belts and other small accessories for 99 cents.  Of course the color and the pattern on this summery scarf just jumped right out at me.  I looked it over, fell in love with the vintage look of it and decided I couldn’t go wrong for just under a dollar.  You never know where you might run across a great idea for decorating!

 

 

Right away I knew I would use it for a tablescape or a prop for my silk floral arrangements more so than a scarf.

Strawberry plates 004

 

After giving my table a bit more thought  ~~~ black seemed to be a nice, strong contrast with the warm yellow.  I found these bamboo placemats and the checkered napkins in my newly organized bin.

 

 

I needed more color, so after pulling out my solid black dishes, I layered a white salad place first and then a clear glass plate on top with painted strawberries. The white allows the strawberries to show up.  Oh those strawberry dishes bring back sweet memories of my Aunt Lela.  Years ago she gave me birthday money and I found this set of four strawberry dessert plates I used with her money.  Isn’t it nice I still remember that?  She has been in heaven several years now.

 

 

Strawberry plates 005

 

 

 

A little bright green just seemed to be another fun color for more pop, as we like to say.

Strawberry plates 003 

 

Now you may have thought my water pitcher and glasses were black, but when you look closely, you can see they are actually a very deep red.  I chose these to bring out more red and the red/black just seems to tie in with the overall look.

strawberry dishes

Oh!  My same aunt gave me this pitcher.  The red glasses were purchased at a grocery store in Enid, Oklahoma back in the early 80’s for $1 a piece.  I think I have 10 or 12.  A few are chipped, but I still love ‘em.

 

 

You know what I might do differently next time?  Place a white tablecloth beneath the yellow topper.  It would give it a more finished look, but for now this won’t stop my daughter and me from having great conversation over a casual lunch.

Strawberry plates 001

 

I hope you’ll join me by stopping by all the others who have participated in this very, very fun event.

 

Thanks so much for visiting me on 47th Street today.  I love it when you stay awhile and say hi.    :)

25 comments:

Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings... said...

Enjoyed my visit on 47th street !!! Hope you had fun with your lovely scape, I sure enjoyed your blog too...Stop over anytime, xoxo~Kathy~ @ Sweet Up-North Mornings...

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Thanks so much for stopping in. Now you know I love your tablescape cuz I love the black and white!! It is always so rich and the touch of red is perfect! Happy TT!

Dana and Daisy said...

Hi Donna! I love your japanese mats!
My egg yolk napkin rings are so old I don't even remember where I got them! they were on clearance wherever I am sure!

Martha said...

Love the gold, red and black -- a pretty table!

Joyce said...

Now this TS really pops. What's for dinner?
Joyce

southerninspiration said...

that is just the cutest, Donna! I love how you pulled it all together with a fashion accessory, nonetheless! You're one smart cookie!

Suzanne

Anonymous said...

I love your flair for decorating. I saw a large scarf at Tuesday Morning the other day and thought it was so big it would make a good tablecloth. I love that your Aunt gave you the $ for the dishes. That makes them really special.

Lori E said...

You know if you gave that topper to 5 different people you would get 5 very different table scapes.
Yours is absolutely fabulous. the black is just what was needed to anchor the bottom layer to the top layer of color. Good job.

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Very pretty! I like the black, white, red, and yellow together! Nice that your daughter enjoys the tablescapes too!

Katherine

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

What a gorgeous table. I love the scarf and it really is the perfect tablescarf. I love the black with it and all of your accessories are just so pretty. This is really lovely. Hugs, Marty

Sarah said...

Lovely table! How fun to have a daughter who loves to play in the dishes with you!

Hope to see you at Hyacinth For The Soul for a little rooster fun and a toast to Julia Child!

Pearl Maple said...

Well done, that is a great looking tablescape, like the colours you have chosen all so full of life. Thanks for sharing the inspiration.

Paula@SweetPea said...

Your strawberry plates scream summer and are just perfect for this time of year. I love your new scarf, centerpiece, and your red glasses and pitcher. I remember when you bought the cardinal plate :) this summer!

Renae Moore said...

You really did find a treasure in that scarf. I enjoy finding different things and using them in a way they are not necessarily designed for!
ps...thanks for dropping by!
Blessings...

Nancy Rosalina said...

Donna, your tablescape is beautiful..and that scarf just makes it! Nancy

PAT said...

Beautiful table, Donna!!

Domestic Designer said...

Lovely table. Great use of the scarf!

nannykim said...

Great idea to use the scarf as a tablecloth--love the punch of the color. I agree--it would be nice to see it with a white underlay--but the way you have it looks very nice too!

(I posted my tablescape on my spindle cottage blog--but I do have other blogs...that blog is going to be mostly for house type pics)

Brenda Pruitt said...

Guess what? I lived in Enid, OK for a little while when I was a late teen. Small world. I love your cardinal plate. Love those birds, ya know!
Brenda

LillyB said...

Your table is beautiful!!! I love black and white!

marmielu said...

That looks so nice! I hope you and your daughter had a great time together.
I may have to do some browsing at the mall soon. Thanks for the tip.
Mary Lou

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Love your colors -- this seems the perfect end of Summer blending into the beginning of Fall tablescape.

Unknown said...

What a pretty color combination. I love it and so sweet.

Cynthia

Sharlotte said...

I like your table! The colors are quite a contrast and it works really well! It's really cheery and inviting! Thanks for sharing!

Lori @ Dining Delight said...

Very lovely scarf and you are so right, you never know where inspiration for a tablescape will come from! I love it with the colours you chose to use. The strawberry plates are so cute!

DD