Tablescapes, Home Decor, Thrifting, Cooking

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Getting Organized

 

 

Susan at Between Naps on the Porch is a constant inspiration for many of us with her decorating abilities and getting projects done to make her home a constant thing of beauty.  Today I’d like to share a project that recently helped me on this Met Monday.

 

Met Monday

 

I try to participate in Susan’s Tablescape Thursday as often as time allows and I always enjoy setting a pretty table.  In my constant quest to be more organized, I realized that setting the table beautifully would be much easier if my napkins, dishes, napkin rings, etc. were more organized, so I went to work.  Organization unfortunately is not second nature to me and this should have been done a long time ago.

 

I have a little nook off my dining room that I call my “Butler’s Pantry”.  Yes, I know it isn’t really a Butler’s Pantry but I like the sounds of it.  LOL!  It has a pretty, lighted cabinet up above and then drawers and storage beneath.  I’d hate to show you all the things I’ve stashed in there from time to time.  Often times it was totally unusable because of chaos! 

 

 

 

butler's pantry 007

 

 

I emptied out the bottom storage as well as the drawers in my hutch and other random places I had stashed napkins, rings and all sorts of things that seemed needed to be paired together.

before 001

 

 

My hutch drawers were really in need of a makeover!

before 002

 

 

No rhyme or reason, I’m ashamed to say….

before 003

 

 

Magnolia was just appalled and watched carefully until the job was completed.  To be quite honest, this took me about three days!

before 004

 

 

First off, I placed many of my salt and pepper shakers together in one drawer.

before 010

 

Of course I have many, many candles of all shapes and sizes, but decided to keep my tapers and votive candles together in a drawer of my hutch.  Oh, it’s feeling better already!

before 011

 

 

This is the area beneath my Butler’s Pantry.  All of my silver that I chose to store here was nicely polished before being put away.  I also made the decision not to place too much in here.  It’s easier to get to things when it isn’t overcrowded, plus I learn that I break things when an area is over filled with dishes.

before 012

 

 

My napkin rings and napkins were placed in plastic bins for ease of pulling out and going through to decide what I needed for a particular tablescape.

before 013

 

 

I found I had so many white and off white napkins that they earned a drawer of their own.  They were all ironed too before being put away.  This project forced me to iron a laundry basket almost FILLED with napkins!  I actually enjoyed doing this.

before 014

 

 

I hope that I have perhaps inspired some of you to take hold of your linens and dishes in anticipation of feeling more prepared for company or even setting a nice table for your family.

 

Before I close this post, let me say how excited I am that I won a giveaway Susan sponsored in honor of her one year blog anniversary!  I’m THRILLED!  Thanks Susan!!  And thanks for your excellent blog that inspires me in so many ways!

20 comments:

Madame Meg said...

Hi- great makeover! I recently re-did my linen closet and had a similar experience with my napkin collection... There is one shelf with miscellaneous things like soap and shoe polish that keeps getting messy, I'll have to try some bins!
- Meg

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Hi sweetie, Congrats on your win!!
What a great makeover, reminds me I have a few of those places to tackle.. lol.. Love the help of Maganolia she's a cutie..
hugs ~lynne~

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Congratulations, I was one of her winners too. Isn't that just so exciting. I really love all of the wonderful storage you have in your butlers pantry. I just tried to do the same thing, but not nearly as neat and pretty as you did. Fantastic job. Hugs, Marty

Anonymous said...

It all looks wonderful now and will be easier to choose what you need for the different tablescapes. Autumn is a good time to organize. Can't believe you have so many napkins and you ironed them all - good for you and I love your assistant, Magnolia. Is she attracted to your silk flower arrangements?

Paula@SweetPea said...

It must feel so good to be organized. I have things stashed here and there and need to exactly what you did and go through it all. Your collection of napkin rings and napkins is impressive!

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Hi Donna,
Love your re-do, everything looks so pretty and fresh! Congrats on being a winner, me too!!! Cindy

Cathy said...

Donna, congrats on the giveaway and your redo looks great!

Domestic Designer said...

Everything looks so organized and pretty! Great Job!

Anonymous said...

Everything looks so great and neat. I know how wonderful this feels.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

stitching under oaks said...

my hutch is looking quite crowded right now! yours looks fabulous. getting organized feels great doesn't it?!

Its So Very Cheri said...

It always feels so good to get something organized.

I hope you will come over and check out this weeks Knock off and I bet you have some things you could post to the KNOCK OFF KNOCK OUT Party.
Cheri
Its So Very Cheri

Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State said...

That looks great! It always feels fantastic to get organized, doesnt it?

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I love a good organization project! :) You did a good job. I always feel so much better after getting things in order. I like how you have all your white and off white napkins together...makes them much easier to find. :)

Sue said...

I'm actually reading your post and taking a break from my own organizational challenge. The hall coat closet and the study... I have so many things stored in that closet under the stairs! But when I'm done, I'll feel the way you probably do now. And that is relieved but pleased that it is clean and neat. Now... if we can just keep it that way! LOL
:-) Sue

Designs on 47th Street said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Donna...I'm so impressed! I LOVE organization...one of my favorite things to do is organize an area...I'm sure there's a pill for that. :-) This turned out beautifully...and it was so much fun getting to see all your tablescaping treasures. :-)
Susan

Gwen said...

I need to dig into my sideboard and take my power back just like you did!

Congrats on your win!

Karen at Nittany Inspirations said...

Good job on organizing your china cupboard. I now have my placemats on top of the refrigerator and my napkins and tablecloths on a shelf in my linen closet, but they are so overcrowed and wrinkled. I could put the napkins in a plastic container, too. Thanks for giving me some ideas.

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Doesn't it feel great to get things organized (of course, at my house they don't stay that way for long, but the first few weeks of organization feel great!) Congratulations on your prize win! laurie

Melissa Miller said...

~AWESOME job on this Donna!
I LOVE to organize as well.

Congrats on winning Susan's giveaway! I'm so happy for you!
It could not have happened to nicer lady.

~Blessings, ~Melissa :)