Tablescapes, Home Decor, Thrifting, Cooking

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Those Dern Bugs

 

 

 

mosquitoe spray

Mr. Brown Socks as well as two of our three daughters are extremely sensitive to mosquitoes.  When bitten their skin reacts right away with a HUGE welt…I mean HUGE!  It is unreal.  They didn’t get that from my side of the family.  ;)

 

Last summer we ran across this recipe for insect spray in our local newspaper and low and behold it truly works very well, plus you aren’t spraying harmful chemicals on your body.  Now that’s a good thing.  Mr. Brown Socks even took it with him on a camping trip with a few other family members.  The mosquitoes were horribly bad.  Everyone was fighting for the bottle of spray and even using it on the dogs! They were all asking for the recipe.

mosq

Here’s our little secret:

Mosquitoe Spray

2 cups water

1 cup white vinegar

1 cup Avon Skin-So-Soft Bath Oil

1 T. eucalyptus Oil

Shake in a spray bottle and let settle before spraying

In the meantime, Miss Maggie was making sure to keep mosquitoes off the hummingbirds.  She promised she was just out getting a little fresh air.

 

mosq 002

 

 

 

Wipe that smile off your face, young lady!

 

mosq 001

 

 

mosq 003

 

 

Hope you don’t have any bugs in your life today!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Good morning! Thanks for the recipe. Sometimes the bugs can be so bad it's unbearable.

Nancy

southerninspiration said...

Oh, thanks for sharing.....sometimes they are bigger than we are here in Texas.....the one blessing of drought is not as many mosquitoes!!! Yay...

Suzanne

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Great recipe! The mosquitoes in our yard are terrible this summer due to all the trash/junk that the icky neighbors left behind when they moved out. This might just help! :)

Sue said...

I'm going to try this, Donna. While those suckers leave me alone, they love Mr. and the kid. The in-laws get bit all the time too, so for the next gathering at my house, I will have a spray bottle ready for them. And the circulating fan, just for good measure ~ Mr.'s brother likes to use that, so I will appease....LOL
:-) Sue

Domestic Designer said...

Thanks for the recipe. They are really bad at night here.

Nancy Rosalina said...

Oh Thank you for this recipe!!! I will use this...I just can't sit out at night because of the bugs!! Nancy

OH, If I can find your email, I am going to send you a picture of something I did...I want your opinion. Nancy

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much. This will be so helpful.

Anonymous said...

We find that the Off/coils in the little terra cota containers do the trick....we light a fire in the fire pit....and on the cooler nights putting on the propane/heater also works....

Any oil will work...they are attracted to our breath..

They sure are nasty...remember when we were young they only came out for a couple of hours a night ??? We have created super bugs by using chemicals...just like super viruses by using antibiotics...YIKES

Room Service ~ Decorating 101 said...

wanted to thank you for the note that you left on my blog. I have been crazy busy...sorry it took me so long to visit you. Don't be a stranger.

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

I will try ANYTHING to keep the mosquitoes off of me! Thanks for the recipe. Miss Maggie is so pretty. laurie