Tablescapes, Home Decor, Thrifting, Cooking

Monday, February 2, 2009

The Rest of the Picture

Remember on my last post I said I found what I wanted for my dining room windows and loved it?
Well, I still love it, BUT as humans can be, I started doubting myself about the design of the draperies. I was afraid the look was a little too stuffy....like someone's grandma's house. Well, yes, I am a grandma but I don't want my house to have that "image" don't cha know?
HEY!
Would someone tell the silk plant lady that her tree seems to be leaning after moving it to vacuum??!!
I'm showing you pictures of the dining room along with more of the main part of our house so you can tell me what you think. As you can see, we have a very open floor plan.
The walls with the hutch and the windows are the ones I plan to paint Cajun Red. I'm thinking of having someone do a bronzy faux finish on the ceiling.
Notice the piece of fabric up to the window as I continue to look at it and visualize the whole picture.
The living room is directly across from the dining room, with the wood floor path separating the two rooms.
~ Here is the living room ~
Beyond the dining room and living room, you can see the hearth room and into the kitchen at the far end of the house. It is so hard to get good pictures. Too much light, ~~ not enough light. What is the answer??
I do love my house, but I really am ready to start painting. When we first moved in my mother said she loved everything and she hoped I didn't go painting the walls right away. (She does know how I am....lover of red and anything with color! )
Why is it, no matter how old we are, we still want to please our mothers? My mother is a beige wall kind of person, although we did get her to put some color on her living room walls. I'll show you some day.
I also want to paint our column a white semi gloss to make it more finished looking.
The living room and entry may be Restrained Gold by SW
Enjoy this first day of February. I hope to make a final decision soon and you'll be one of the first to know.
Do the window treatments look too museum like? (See pictures from last post.)

17 comments:

Melissa Miller said...

Hi Donna, :)
Go for it girl!
Cajun Red sounds warm, earthy, elegant and maybe even a bit Tuscan. No way will it ever be stuffy!

I have never seen anything transform a home or a room more than paint. You can always change it if you don't like it. That's the easy part.

Good Luck! I can't wait to see the results.
Your home is GOEGEOUS!
~Melissa :)

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Donna...I struggled with paint colors for almost a year because my house is very open, too. I finally just decided to paint and I love my results. I decided that paint is an easy and inexpensive fix if you don't like it! Meliss'a right...go for it!...Debbie

Designs on 47th Street said...

Ladies, thanks but it's the window treatments I had concern over! But as I today, I'm pretty sure I have decided to go with it.

thank you!!

Bo said...

Hey Donna...who am I to give you advice when my one & only grandson says to me in a loving way, mind you..."Nana, your house looks like an old lady's house"...ouch!Haha...
Whatever you decide will be so glam & so just right! ;-) Bo

ksarra said...

Hi, it's pretty obvious from the look of your beautiful home that you know what you're doing!!!! It's all sooooo pretty. I think you should go with your first thought. Good luck!

Meadowsweet Days said...

Hi Donna~ I think you should go with your first impression... you were excited and now you're just second guessing yourself. Just do it.... it's only fabric! I'm with you on the paint.... I'm still here with my new house paint, Linen White! It is difficult when you have an open floor plan as I do as well. I have a million swatches taped all over the walls and above the mantle... I just need to get on with it too!

Carol

thefauxguy said...

One thing you might want to consider for the columns is something called Weathered Stone. We have done some of this with our company. You can see some pictures with it on columns at www.weathered-stone.com. Also, check out www.mojofaux.com for other great faux finish ideas.

Unknown said...

I think your ideas are great. I've never seen Cajun Red, but it sounds right up my alley!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Come back soon!

Unknown said...

I think you should go with the curtains...they are beautiful. Don't second guess yourself or try and decorate to please others. You mother knows you have a great sense of style because it's evident in your home. Some people are just beige wall people...it's not wrong...it's just not for everybody. I think Cajun Red sounds wonderful! Can't wait to see the finished project.

Melissa Miller said...

Hi Donna,
I ran back over.
You mean you do love the Red paint?
Awesome!
It is going to be so fabulous.

The curtains are really formal.
They are gorgeous though.

Have you seen the ones that hang with knobs?
I'm going to do that look in our next house for sure.

I can't wait to see the results. I really love your open floor plan.
It's so welcoming!
~Melissa :)

Anonymous said...

The color will look fantastic in there.

Now this is just a thought: what about a rod across the whole wall close to the ceiling with panels hanging on either side of the windows (of that beautiful fabric), then you could put a couple of small painting above each window etc...

I LOVE the layout of your home !!

Kathy :)

whatever you decide will be great !!

Ldy ~~ Dy said...

Donna, Thanks for stopping by my blog. I like the open floorplan of your home. The fabrics your considering are beautiful. I too love reds and fabrics rich with textures. Go for it! I think it's going to look great..can't wait to see final look. Oh...I left a comment on your cake decorating post! Hugs!

Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity said...

Donna, I think I understand what you are getting at. I am wondering if a simpler design might not seen so heavy. Your windows really aren't that large. How about straight panels on a large wood rod? I love your home. You certainly know how to decorate. Anything you decide will be perfect. I love your column. It is so beautiful. I can't wait to see what you decide.

As far as the paint colors. Just go for it. You don't have walls that are hard to paint if you decide you don't like it. I had a problem with that. Because I had to hire someone to paint our extremely high walls. I normally do all of the painting myself. I just can't do that in our new home.
Hugs, Terrie

Nancy Rosalina said...

Oh I like them! I also like your home..it looks gorgeous! Blessings, Nancy

Ldy ~~ Dy said...

Me again! I left a comment on your cake post again. Hope it shows up for you...just me commenting on your great cake ideas! Oh..and while I am here..I might mention that I love your banner heading and the teacup with the letter"D" on it! Hugs!

LillyB said...

I love Red too! It is so rich! Your home is so beautiful but with your talents you will increase its beauty!!!

Miss Janice said...

Hmmmmm, your rooms are beautiful now and with "Cajun Red,"...sounds wonderful. I have been thinking that maybe I should move over to the reds for my kitchen and family rooms. I love how you have decorated the rooms!