Tablescapes, Home Decor, Thrifting, Cooking

Monday, November 22, 2010

When can a Turkey be called “Stately”?

 

DSCN2797_1216

Four days before Thanksgiving I discovered a garage sale find from the summer.  I could have been looking at this stately bird all of November.  I still have the sticker on the plate… $5.00.

 

DSCN2799_1218

This came in a box with a certificate of authenticity (NOW you are impressed, I know!)  It says Sixth issue in the Edward Marshall Boehm Gamebirds of North American Plate Collection.  Never has a turkey looked so Purdy.

 

 

Doing a little plate flipping I see I have another Game Bird Plate by Boehm.  Below is the California Quail in the series.  These plates are made in England and are fine Bone China.  The quail plate came from an antique store in Nags Head, N.C.  I paid $20 for this one, but just love their little head feathers.  They do look regal to me. 

DSCN2796_1215

 

I keep this plate out in my husband’s Man Cave  ~~~~ family room.

 

DSCN2795_1214

In closing this post today I want to  show a picture I have posted before.  I’m sure many of you haven’t seen it.

This was taken just a couple of days after we moved into our new home.  My daughter went into her bathroom and this is what she found looking back at her!  We didn’t have blinds up at the time.  We got a huge laugh over our Peepin’ Tom after Jamie got past the scare! LOL!

Do you have wild turkeys in your area?

 

peepin' tom 

 

 

 

Have fun preparing for the big Turkey Day!

Donna

8 comments:

Miss Char said...

Donna, I'm in love with both of those plates. That turkey one is just beautiful and what a fantastic price. I don't think I ever saw the turkey in the window, I would have had some words to say if I had looked out the window to see this peeping Tom too!

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Donna...

How are you doing, sweet lady? It has been awhile since we've visited. I think that Blogland is getting bigger and bigger...I have a difficult time getting around to everyone these days! Hehe!

Well my friend, I love both of your beautiful bird plates! I have been shopping for something like these...but they ARE expensive! Love the turkey plate...he definitely is a stately fellow! What a sweet treasure find! Your quail plate is gorgeous as well! Thank you for sharing your pretties with us today!

Girl, I bet that wild turkey scared your daughter half to death...ohhh my! We do have wild turkey in our area...as well as pheasant, etc. I live out in the sticks...hehe!

A warm and wonderful Thanksgiving to you and your sweet family!

Chari @Happy To Design

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Yes -- quite a statley looking turkey! He must have gotten "pardoned" for Thanksgiving.

Unknown said...

Those are gorgeous plates. I really need to start junking with y'all, cause you get the best stuff!

As for as wild turkey...um...the only Wild Turkey you'll find around these parts is in a bottle.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

We had a wild turkey in our back yard a few years ago and it was out there at the same time a young buck was standing there. I took pictures because I knew know one would believe me. Love your plates.

Sonny G said...

Hi Donna...
thank you so much for visiting me and leaving such a sweet comment..
OH MY ~ your dishes are beautiful and that new Turkey plate is over the top..
My grandfather raised turkeys so if he'd come to my window, when I was a kid, it would'nt have been a shock.. giggle

I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving...
Blessings to all of you.
Sonny

Anonymous said...

Love the turkey in the window. We have had chickens for about a year now and it still tickles me when they come up to my studio glass doors and peek in. And I love your plates. The really nice turkey and bird plates are very expensive. I keep thinking I want to start a collection but never have. Donna, your wedding decor was gorgeous. I know the time and thought that went into getting it all down pat. I did just a Fall wedding rehearsal party out here using the white pumpkins, baby blue and brown. And THAT was a lot of work so I can imagine a whole wedding reception. Everything you did was just stunning. We have a wedding coming up (my youngest) and I secretly kind of hope they just go get married and we have a party afterwards. :) xoxo Happy belated Thanksgiving.

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Donna! You know I love those plates! And I do think a turkey can be stately! My sister has a flock of wild turkeys near her house who came to visit while we were there for Thanksgiving...brave or not smart?? lol Hope yours was happy!...hugs...Debbie