Tablescapes, Home Decor, Thrifting, Cooking

Friday, April 17, 2009

The Lady Has Lost Her Mind

I have a new hobby.

I am spending almost as much time looking out the window as I am looking at all your blogs.

I confessed to Mr. Brown Socks and to Jamie last night that I am not only a new bird watcher, but now I’ve joined a society on bringing more bluebirds to my area.  Birding is so addicting!  I love seeing the goldfinches at the feeders now with their bright yellow and black feathers.  I’ve learned that they moult and right now they look a little funny because their new feathers are coming in.

The cardinals are always everyone’s favorites, but now I’ve added chickadees, downy woodpeckers and now bluebirds to my list.

My neighbor signed me up to be a member of this bluebird association and she came hauling two birdhouses for me to place out in the back.  bird 009 We are in a perfect spot because we have grassland and woods nearby. 

My neighbor already has a perfectly formed bluebird nest in her house ~~ bird 007 however, they had to fight off a mean house sparrow to succeed.  I’ve learned that house sparrows are the devil and can kill the pretty bluebirds.  I now have a trap in my house just in case the sparrow tries to take up housekeeping in mine.  bird 010

We were told it’s better to not have a birdhouse than to let the sparrows take over.  Oh the things you learn when you have a new hobby!

Mr. Brown Socks and Jamie were following along just fine with the information about the sparrows vs. the bluebirds until I started telling them how bluebirds really enjoy mealyworms.  Jamie about dropped to the floor at the thought of handling these little wiggly critters.  I purchased a tiny little container at the pet store for $2.99.  Now I’m reading we can grow our own for really cheap!  Jamie DID drop to the floor!  She realized this was the same icky thing we found in an oatmeal box deep in her grandmother’s pantry when we were cleaning it out for her once.  I’m really not sure I could grow mealyworms because it really might ruin my love for good ole healthy oatmeal!

My sweet family was convinced I had lost my mind after I talked about birds steadily for 45 minutes while our daughter gave her dad a haircut.  Then came the final clue:

Oh, how I wish I were tech savvy.  I’d insert a little audio clip of what I did next.  While the house was very, very quiet, I turned on the CD player.  Out bellows the call of a catbird that made both cats in the house twitch their ears this way and that! bird 005 Yes, it was an hour long CD of Backyard Birds.  I’m not sure my daughter and husband are as enthused as me. This was the look of disbelief on J’s face!  She did enjoy going out with me after the haircut to inspect the birdhouses.  I’ll have her birdwatching before you know it!  You will be the first to know if I succeed in having bluebirds make a nest in my birdhouse!

Please let me know if you are a bird watcher and what sort of stories you might have.

Gotta run ~~~ I have to make sure there isn’t a sparrow in the box.  Whatever will I do if there is???  :-{

bird 006

13 comments:

southerninspiration said...

Oh my goodness...my funny, funny friend!! You are so cute. I only watch hummingbirds really, but I do enjoy seeing which birds are in my yard. I only recognize robins, bluejays, cardinals, and grackles!!! I'm sure it is an interesting hobby, and you sound fully entrenched. Looking forward to more bird tales from you!! :)

Suzanne

Melissa Miller said...

~WOW~! Donna I think it sounds really cool and fun!

I have never done it before but I am fascinated by hummingbirds.
I can't wait to hear more about yours.

Have a wonderful bird watching weekend.
~Melissa :)

Kristens Creations said...

LOL! I think it's a great new hobby! Your daughter, however, might not agree ;) We have bluebirds in our backyard. I have a birdhouse and I think there are some eggs in it right now. I just love bluebirds, they are so beautiful! I just posted our latest project and I must say that part of the reason I want some trees is so the bluebirds will have somewhere to sit! Right now they just sit on the fence. I'm surprised they come back every year. I guess they are the same ones, you might know since you've been learning about them. Anyways, I find birds facinating too! Have a great weekend bird watching. Kristen

Anonymous said...

I love to bird watch too. We have a blue bird box and lots of hummingbird feeders. If you love to see great photos of birds, Dorothy at http://mawdot.blogspot.com is an avid bird watcher/photographer - in fact, she has a blue bird on today's post. You will enjoy her blog.

Miss Laura Lu/RMS4291960 said...

Oh I love birdwatching and we had tons of gold finches and even bluebirds at our old house but have never been too successful at this house. We do have a family of wrens and chickadees and once a yr. a flock of cedar waxwings will swoop in and wipe out all the berries on our holly tree! Can't wait to see a bluebird nesting at your place! Your daughter is gorgeous! God Bless you today Donna! Lauralu :)

Unknown said...

Oh me too. On our deck this morning I saw lots of doves,blue jays, robins, cardinals, thrashers, red finch, mocking birds, and a woodpecker. They all get along famously and the only ones we don't like and shoo off are those black birds. Have our hummingbird feed out, but no visitors have been spotted yet.
Happy Twirls

Domestic Designer said...

I am a bird watcher too. We have 11 feeders and just love to sit and watch. We have our book to identify all the birds and we try to take pictures. It is a great hobby and so relaxing! Have a great day!

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hello my friend...

Girl, I laughed and laughed...not at you but with you, Sweetie!!! hehe!!! I'm not what you call an avid bird watcher but I do enjoy all of our little birds out here in the country at my place! We don't have the cardinals that I had been so used to seeing when I lived in South Texas but we do have bluejays! We have an entire family of them that make our trees their homes in the Spring time! I love watching them and listening to them...they're really funny when they get to screaming at one another!

Well darlin, enjoy your birds! Thank you for all of the information you posted...I feel a bit more knowledgeable now!!!

Warmest wishes,
Chari

Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity said...

Donna, Just another thing we have in common. We feed the birds, too!! Notice I said, "We". My dh loves them, too. We do not have bluebirds in our area. I wish we did. I can't wait for the hummingbirds to arrive. We really should be neighbors. Have a great weekend! Hugs, Terrie

Anonymous said...

Hey Donna, Bluebirds are building in my boxes this spring. They have been stealing bits and pieces of the old coco liners in my hanging baskets for their nest. They also like the pine needles for their nest too. The other day I ran to the nursery and saw where they now sell fake pine needles for your gardens as mulch. I wonder how the little birdies would feel about fake needles for their nest.? :)

Chrissy...The Apothecary Shop said...

I love birds, all shapes and sizes...great post, enjoy!!!

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Did you see Susan's (Between Naps) post about huge mass of worms she keeps in her refrigerator for bird feeding? She orders them. I love birds, but I'm afraid I'm with your pretty daughter about bringing worms into the house. Yuk! Funny story. laurie

Adrienne said...

I bought my first hummingbird feeder this year and cannot wait to hang it (its been too windy)! Cardinals are abundant in our area. I hear bluejays are mean though... kind of territorial. HAve fun bird watching!