Tablescapes, Home Decor, Thrifting, Cooking

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Christmas Tree Bread and for the Love of Dishes

DSCN2906_1323 Last year I found four of the Christmas tree plates by Johnson Brothers at TJ Maxx.  During multiple trips there and Marshalls I ran across seven of the mugs.  The dishes match my Old British Castles transferware and I’m really drawn to this look.  I found four more dinner plates at Marshalls last week plus another mug so I have eight!

My centerpiece was pretty simple but I enjoy looking through the glass at candlelight and a snowy, wintery scene.

Evergreens, a few more votives and a few little Christmas treasures are just nestled

around.

 

DSCN0111

 

 

DSCN2907_1324

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Do you ever get your table about 3/4 set and wish that you had started off with a different table cloth or runner?  :(

That happened to me as I was setting this up.  I was in a huge hurry though as my friend Susan was having a special birthday.

I wanted to have a brunch for her in my home instead of a restaurant.  Sooo, the tablecloth I had remorse over was allowed to stay.  I would rather have chosen a creamy white tablecloth and a deep red runner.

DSCN2909_1326

 

 

DSCN2910_1327

 

I have a pretty Christmas bread I would like to share with you today as I join Designs by Gollum.

I have made this off and on for YEARS and I still love the presentation.  Depending on your favorite yeast sweet bread recipe you can get two or sometimes three trees out of one recipe.  Let me know if you need my sweet bread recipe.

DSCN2896_1313

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

After the first rise, you are ready to form the tree.  Roll or hand pat your dough to five inches on the top, 10- 12” up and down and about 15” on the very bottom.

 

DSCN2899_1316

Brush melted butter over the dough and add the filling being careful not to go clear to the edge.  That way the edges will hold when you pinch the form together.

Filling

1 cup sugar

1 cup chopped pecans

2 t. mace (the spice!)

2 t. cinnamon

 

DSCN2900_1317

 

DSCN2901_1318

 

Here I am showing how the dough is now folded together and pinched to close

DSCN2902_1319

 

Very carefully place the tree seam side down onto a greased cookie sheet.

Now with kitchen scissors cut inward on each side about 1 1/2” apart almost to the center.

 

DSCN2904_1321 DSCN2905_1322

 

 

 

Now starting with the first branches, fold a quarter turn downward so that the filling shows. 

Turn bottom branches down to form the trunk.

Follow your sweet bread instructions but this is where you will let it rise for the final time.

After it bakes (don’t overbake!) cool the bread and then you are ready to frost.

 

Frosting:

2 cups powdered sugar and about 2 T. ( I used more) half and half or heaving whipping cream and about 1 t. vanilla or almond flavoring.

Decorate with cherries that have been halved.  Years ago green cherries were available too, but I can’t find those anymore.

I sprinkled with some little Christmas tree candies I found at TJ Maxx ( of course!)

 

 

 

DSCN2911_1328

DSCN2913_1330

 

 

 

 

Place tree on a large silver tray or a piece of sturdy cardboard that has been wrapped in tin foil.  These are fun to give as gifts to friends or neighbors as well.

 

DSCN2914_1331

I am also joining Marty at A Stroll Thru Life today for her Cloche Party

DSCN2894_1311

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Cindy at My Romantic Home And Susan at Between Naps on the Porch

DSCN2910_1327

 

Believe it or not, I am now going to decorate my Christmas tree!

Could it really be December 9th?

27 comments:

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

Looks just delicious. I am not a baker usually. I DO decorate, however:):) XO, Pinky

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Your tablescape is so pretty. I love your lantern, so beautiful and your bread is out of this world. Such a beautiful setting. Thanks so much for joining the party. Hugs, Marty

Jean said...

All very lovely! You are super talented!!!

Please share your favorite yeast sweet bread recipe.

Cathy said...

Christmas Tree bread, what a great idea. Yes, please share the recipe.

The table looks just beautiful!

Unknown said...

WOW! Does that bread ever look YUM-O!

I love your Lantern Centerpiece. Very pretty!

Merry Christmas!
~Liz

southerninspiration said...

It all looks fabulous!!!

Suzanne

Lynn said...

Everything is pretty! I love your Christmas tree bread, I might try one to take to the office-thanks:@)

Barbara said...

What a festive table! That bread looks so delicious. I just love the bike in your header.

Unknown said...

What I wouldn't give for a piece of that bread to go with my coffee right now. I love your centerpiece....very different and interesting. Everything looks gorgeous...as usual.

Sevenbeads said...

Love your lantern. It's like a little world in there. The table setting is lovely and I'm sure your guests were thrilled.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Your table is beautiful, but your tree bread is outstanding. This is one I certainly will attempt. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Blessings...Mary

Pamela said...

Oh yum! I hope I have time to make one. Ah, time. We won't go there! I do love the presentation it gives. Looks like a fun thing for Christmas morning.

Salmagundi said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog today. We must have the same taste as I have enough of the Old British Castles dishes (with Christmas plates) to feed an army. You asked about the stockings -- I knitted the first two for my husband & I in the 1950s, my son's in the 1960s, my daughter's in the 1970s, my son-in-law and first grandchild's in the 1990s, and the last one for my second grandchild just last year, so they span several decades. Enjoy your holiday season! Sally

Jane said...

Your table looks beautiful and that bread looks oh so good!! I'm not a baker so I admire all of you that can create such fabulous things in the kitchen.
Jane

Marigene said...

Beautiful table...that bread looks incredible!

Anonymous said...

Hi Donna! Your table looks beautiful and I do love those dishes. I have The Old Britain Castles so I need some of those Christmas plates too.
That bread looks wonderful! I'll be it's delicious! It's prett too.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Miss Char said...

Donna, every time I see those dishes I think of you. :) I know you and your friends had a wonderful day together enjoying your beautiful table. You have my address.....so I'll be looking for one of those fantastic bread trees on the porch shortly.

Paula@SweetPea said...

Where to start??? Your bread looks oh so good. It wouldn't be Christmas without cinnaman buns. You table looks fabulous. Isn't it fun to pull out the Christmas dishes and finally get to use them after storing them for a year?

I love your plate holder that holds plates at a diagonal. When you have time, can you share where I might get one for my house?

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

How on earth did I miss this post? I adore your table.. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe.. going to save and "hopefully" bake one up..lol.. Thank you for your words of praise,coming from you darling they are truly appreciated.. I know what talent you have... I'm still not sure if I like it or not... but as I said it stays for the time being..lol hope you're staying warm your way..
hugs ~lynne~

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Now you know I LOVE your dishes (since I have the same ones!) What a pretty table and delicious looking Christmas treat. Beautiful Silver tray.

Entertaining Women said...

Oh my goodness! I hope that I can be brave enough to try to make your amazing bread tree. It's fantastic! Thank you for sharing your recipe and your charming design. Cherry Kay

Tablescapes By Diane said...

Hi lovely lady I love your Tablescapes Just Buautiful and your Recipes~~~ Im your newest Follower on your Blog. Can you take a moment to see my Blog. and become one of my Followers Thanks so much, Hope you have a Great Day ~~~~
Diane

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I've been eyeing those dishes myself, Donna! I saw them on CSN but I don't really need them, so passed. BUT, if I saw them at TJ Maxx or Marshalls I think I'd pick up a few!

Rettabug said...

What a great header photos, Donna! LOVE the apple necklace...LOL

Your transferware tablescape for the birthday girl was just wonderful & so is that bread shaped tree! I have copied down the recipe for future use. I love to make homemade bread!
Thank you!

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

I love the JB Christmas china, and I'm thinking before next year, I need to find some. Your table looks beautiful, and that centerpiece is so festive. The bread looks beautiful in the Christmas tree shape with your pretty decor on it. Not sure mine will turn out that pretty! laurie

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

just me again. forgot to tell you that I love your bike in the header! laurie

Miss Janice said...

I keep saying I'm gonna buy those beautiful dishes...maybe next year! Love the tablescape!!!