Tablescapes, Home Decor, Thrifting, Cooking

Monday, June 22, 2009

Great Finds for Cheap!

 

 

Good Monday Morning!  Today I’m participating with Rhoda from Southern Hospitality by showing my recent thrift finds.  Rhoda is amazing with what she has searched out for and then used so well in her home. I think she is the Thrift/Garage Sale Queen! :)

 

I have been trying Window’s Live Writer and my pictures always get cut off if I try the medium setting.  The small setting seems ity bitty unless you click on them.  Does anyone know what I’m doing wrong?  :(

 

I wanted to show you the results of some diligent thrifting with my friends while in the Geneva, Illinois area just outside of Chicago last week.

 

We went to Church resale shops, antique stores and every other little shop that was opened during a two day time frame.  What excited us the very most was when we happened upon a neighborhood antique/garage/estate sale.  One lady was so low on prices we had to pinch ourselves to see if what she was pricing things at was for real!

 

The decanters were $5.00, I believe.  The old brass charger was $1.  It will go well in my fox hunt room.  I loved the little distressed silver candle holder (or small vase) pictured in front for $1. 

 

We were literally on our way out of town and decided to stop one more time to see if this lady had put anything else out.  She had told us she had more to sort through and to come back the next day.  Well, the next day was pouring rain and we didn’t see her garage door open.  So on our final day (Sunday) we just decided to see if she anything out.  I walked up and immediately spotted this fox hunt tray for $3!  You just don’t know how thrilled I was!  Can you see the decanter stopper?  $1!

June 2009 Geneva 001

June 2009 Geneva 005

 

 

 

June 2009 Geneva 005

I almost walked away from these dishes, knowing I was going to have to pack everything up in a suitcase to take them back home.  On our final walkthrough, they literally just pulled me over to them and I was handing the lady her $10.  Eight Royal Stafford salad plates made in England for $10!  pinch me……

 

June 2009 Geneva 008

 

 

June 2009 Geneva 004

 

 

Here are more finds from the trip.  Many of these were from a church resale shop.  There were two levels of F*U*N!  The little planters will be used and filled with silks for my business.  I love using these old vases and pots in a new way.

June 2009 Geneva 010

Click to enlarge

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Isn’t the little lovebird vase adorable?  The red cardinal plate looks old to me too and was made in England.  The dog will be used on a shelf in my fox hunt room.  Linen napkins $1 a piece.

 

See the fabric peeking out underneath everything?  That was a vintage designer fabric that I plan to make into either a window treatment or perhaps a table cloth.  There were 4 1/2 yds. for $17.  A little bit more than I’d like to pay, but it was in an antique store, so the prices were more.  I loved it enough to get it.

 

I am addicted to thrifting ~~ I’ll admit it!

 

Go with me now back to Rhoda’s to see what others have found this week.  Isn’t this fun??

19 comments:

"Blossom" said...

Great fines; the dishes are beautiful.

Unknown said...

So many fabulous finds! I especially love those pretty plates, the decanters and the fox hunt tray!

Thanks for sharing!

Have a great week!

Tina

Sue said...

Donna, Love the hunt tray and the decanters. I am addicted to glassware and always pick them up whenever I can. E-mail me and I will tell you about Writer. I love using it- so much easier than Blogger. Sue

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

First to answer your question about Live Writer. Susan at Between Naps on the Porch had the same problem. She solved it by changing the resolution on her computer to high with 1440 x 900. I have mine set on high and have used the large pics with no problem. Give that a try. As for your finds, they are all just fabulous. I especially love the plates, the dog and the hunt tray, they are all really great finds. Hugs, Marty

LillyB said...

LUCKY girl!!! I wasn't able to find anything this weekend. You found some really nice things! Love the plates!!
Have a blessed day!!!
Love LIlly

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Hello, my name is Amanda, and I am a Thriftaholic. ;) ;) I LOVE that little dog...dying here from the cuteness!!!!

ThriftyAnnabella said...

Great finds this weekend

Unknown said...

Great finds! Wow...you hit the jack pot!

Nancy

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, Donna, you really did well & got some nice pieces. I love that little dog, too cute. The hunt tray is great too. Everything really!

On Windows Live, you can also manually stretch your pics to make them bigger or smaller after you load them, did you know that? So you can tweak the size if it's slightly too big. Just pull the corners in and out.

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

WOW Girl you done hit the Motherlode...Love that Hunt tray how cool is that...thanks for sharing Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

marmielu said...

My goodness! You found some wonderful things. I love the plates and that dog. Have fun decorating.
Mary Lou

Shari @ My Cottage of Bliss said...

You got some great bargains. I especially love the salad plates. They are "my" colors!

I think the "help" pages of WLW are VERY poor but I have found through trial and error if my pictures are more than 400 in width, the right edge will be cut off. You can change the default setting for small, medium, or large and make them any size you want, or you can use the little box below the S/M/L choices to pick/change the size of a specific photo.

However, I can't figure out why some of my photos enlarge when clicked on and some don't.

I noticed Sue left a comment above that she would help you if you email her. Would you mind sharing her response with me? I would like to find out all I can about WLW but I can see the "help" pages are NOT the place to go for help.

The Tattered Cottage said...

You found some wonderful treasures...I love the plates, they're very pretty.
Toni

Kammy said...

Hello !
I am loving those plates and a great deal too ! Everything you got, must have been ment to be !
HUgs ~ Kammy

Kammy said...

Hello !
I am loving those plates and a great deal too ! Everything you got, must have been ment to be !
HUgs ~ Kammy

Lynette said...

Hi Donna - wow you really hit the jackpot on some of your finds. I have been out of the loop myself for a while and took a few minutes to get caught up and saw that you found some Fiestaware for $2 - again WOW!!

Your mom looks fab - and y'all look like you had so much fun at the B & B!!

Talk with you later -

stitching under oaks said...

Wow...you really got some great treasures. So great to find something special for such a good deal. I love you header! That bike and the hydrangeas are gorgeous! So summery!

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Donna, These are absolutely fabulous treasures and bargains! That set of plates was just too good to pass up, even if you did have to lug them home in your suitcase! They are gorgeous! laurie

sheila from life @ #17 said...

just so you know, I'm officially jealous :)