Tablescapes, Home Decor, Thrifting, Cooking

Monday, June 29, 2009

A Family Room in Progress

 

It’s fun to finally have something to share again with Susan’s ever popular makeover.  I’m joining her today at Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday.

 

For those who are new to my blog, my house is still somewhat new and we are ever so slowly doing window treatments and finishing up the rooms in the way I would really like.  Does a room ever totally get finalized?  For me, I think not.  There are still things I want to do in here but at least I’m off to a good start.

 

Here’s the family room in our lower level walkout basement before:

 

Texas and fr 025

 

 

Here’s the fabric I decided to go with:

 

pictures 009

The window treatments are up and I’m excited with the new look!  On the shelves you can see some of my recent thrifting/garage sale finds such as the fox hunt tray and the little dog.  I’m still working on these shelves trying to achieve the right look.

 

 

family room 002

 

family room 001

 

The entertainment center is on another wall.  I recently found these pictures to hang next to it.  They have sort of a Ralph Lauren feel, don’t you think?

 

 

 

 

family room 004

 

Here’s a closeup of some items on a shelf.  I found the old pipe holder, featuring a hunting dog at an antique store.  The tiny little hunt plate was at another antique store and the marbles belonged to my husband when he was a child.

 

pictures 016

 

 

More fox hunt pictures…………

pictures 008

 

 

 

I see now that I have these pictures in place I could have taken more to show the full room.  Will I ever get faster at this?

family room 002

 

 

 

I’ll save more pictures for a different day.

 

In the meantime, let’s go over and get inspired at Susan’s with all the other room makeovers!!

 

Thanks so much for stopping by to see me on 47th Street today! I love meeting new friends and reading your comments!

 

 

 

family room 002

 

family room 001

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks so rich and elegant. Love the rich colors in the drapes and what a neat collection for the shelves. I especially love your husband's boyhood marbles.

Domestic Designer said...

Looks great! I love the colors you chose. Rich and elegant. You did a great job!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

I love all the fox hunt pictures and the drapes are gorgeous. The room looks gorgeous. Hugs, Marty

Anita@Theycallmejammi said...

The room looks great. Very comfortable and relaxing and that is what we are all striving for in our homes. Great job.

Unknown said...

Very elegant looking. And I like your new finds that you are decorating with. Great job!

Nancy

Paula@SweetPea said...

Your room is really coming along. I love the fabric that you chose for your window treatments and really love all of your accessories. I haven't thought about a pipe holder in a long time. My grandfather had one, wonder what became of it? I'll have to ask my mom and aunts.

southerninspiration said...

Goodness gracious, I love it! I love the fabric especially, and the way you've done the shelves!

Suzanne

Kammy said...

Oooooo I love Ralph Loren ! Fab coordination ! I love your square wreath - which I know you made - you faux woman !
Hugs ~ Kammy

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

It's lookin' good, girl!!!!

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Donna, this looks so pretty. Those draperies are really pretty, and I love your vignettes on the shelves. I know you and your family are enjoying this wonderful room. laurie

Sue said...

Hi Donna! You selected some really rich looking fabrics. That's my favorite part of working w/customers- so many people have a hard time seeing how they will work together.
Your room is coming along very well. Adding your hubbby's marbles was a nice touch & I like all of the hunt themed pictures. BTW, is that an old Brownie camera on the shelf on the bookcase?

I'm glad you were able to finally read my post. I was so frustrated. WHY in the world did I ever use blogger last nite? Maybe the people who attempted to see the post but couldn't will be back- I know I missed out on a lot of reader hits since I linked to 2 parties. Oh well.. I hope you'll find that writer will get so much easier for you the more you use it. :-) Sue

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Donna! Your room looks lovely! I love the fabrics you have chosen and the fox hunt pictures are a perfect touch! Have a great week!...Debbie

Melissa Miller said...

Hi Donna,
This room is gorgeous!
I think your drapery fabric is very rich and stunning. Great choice! I like the way you have accessorized the shelves. I can't wait to see the whole entire room.
~Fabulous job! :)

You have made my day wait, my month with your sweet compliment! That is me on the far right. Michele is in the center and Monica on the other end.
I'm the oldest and Michele is the youngest. It's just us three daughters and now only grandsons. LOL! Michele is expecting baby "Grayson" in October. They have Noah and he's 19 months old. Monica has two boys as well.
Zachary is 9 and Jeremy is 6.

I miss them all so much.
It's hard being a military wife sometimes....I know you understand.

Have a wonderful week.
~Melissa :)

Unknown said...

That came out awesome! I really love how yo arranged everything.. you have a really good eye for balance! Stop by my blog for my 100th post giveaway if you get a chance!
Have a great week!
~Really Rainey~

artis1111 said...

You have done a great job in here. Those marbles are wonderful. I like the little dog on the shelve. Thanks for stopping by today. Kathy

Brenda Pruitt said...

I have found that when I move into some place new, or new to me, it takes awhile to find my "comfort zone." To acclimate myself to the space so I know what needs what where. You're doing a fine job. I love the fabric. Did you know I've been collecting marbles in a jar I dig out of my garden! Don't know who put them there. Love those old marbles!
Brenda

Kelly Bergsing said...

It looks great!! I might have to steal the shelf idea... for my hall and computer area!! It looks great!! The dark wood is beautiful... it doesn't make the room dark at all. It looks very rich. Beautiful job!!!

Miss Laura Lu/RMS4291960 said...

Hey girl! I rushed right on over! I have really been busy working and just have not had the get up and go to post anything! How pitiful does that sound?! I love how your room is shaping up! I'd also forgotten how beautiful that fabric is!!!! I still have plans! There's always a plan! I scrolled down and caught your other posts that I've missed somehow. Love all the thrifty goodies! My father used to call them treasures! You have a wonderful day and God Bless! Lauralu :)

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

I am just checking in with you..to see what you are up to and to see the wonderful changes you are making in your room. The hunting scene tray immediately caught my attention. I love it..and that tiny pitcher! I love the silver tray also. I bid on one and lost to a last minute snipper..darn the luck..but...I did win a lovely pedistal cake plate and now I am hunting for a cover for it. The greenery frame is another interesting wall effect. So nice and so different.
I probably need to weed some of my old things out..and I will do that one day. One day... :) You know how that can be.
Have a wonderful week. I can't wait to see the next goodies you show in your room...
Hugs,
Mona

Nancy Rosalina said...

OH, I am loving everything about this room! Nancy