Tablescapes, Home Decor, Thrifting, Cooking

Friday, August 13, 2010

Turn to page 106

 

Do you ever hear people talking about Fish Tacos?  Ick!  It just does not sound very appealing to me.  What I mean is…I like fish and I LOVE tacos, but the combination just never sounded like something I wanted to try.

The other night while I was winding down about to fall asleep I thumbed through my latest issue of Southern Living magazine.  There were several recipes I dog eared and one of them was for Shrimp Tacos.  Not sure why but shrimp tacos sounded a whole lot better than fish tacos! LOL!

Southern Living Magazine August Issue

 

I made them this week and Mr. Brown Socks and I really, really loved this recipe!  I think you will too.

 

Southwest Shrimp Tacos

Serve with hot sauce, Mexican crema or regular sour cream, and chopped radishes.  *note ~~  I did not use chopped radishes and did use sour cream to spread on the shells.

10 to 12 (10”) wooden skewers  (I used metal skewers with a little metal rack)

2 lb. unpeeled, large raw shrimp  (21/25 count)

2 T. hot sauce

1 T. olive oil

1 1/2 tsp. ancho chile powder  (Did not have ancho chile powder so used regular chile powder with some crushed red pepper flakes.)

1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin

3/4 tsp. salt

(8”) soft taco-size corn or flour tortillas  (I used corn)

3 cups shredded cabbage (I used the bag of preshredded cabbage with carrots in with it…perfect!)

1 cup grated carrots

Lime wedges

1. Soak skewers in water 20 mins. 

2.  Meanwhile, peel shrimp; devein, if desired.  Coat cold cooking grate of grill with cooking spray, and place on grill.  Preheat grill to 350* to 400* (medium-high) heat.

3.  Toss shrimp with hot sauce and next 4 ingredients.  Thread shrimp onto skewers.  Grill shrimp, covered with grill lid, 1 to 2 mins. on each side or just until shrimp turn pink.  Grill tortillas 1 min. on each side or until warmed.

4.  Combine cabbage and carrots.  Remove shrimp from skewers just before serving.  Serve shrimp in warm tortillas with cabbage mixture and lime wedges.

 They were SO good! I can’t wait to make them again. Oh! you can maybe see in my picture on the left, I added some chopped avocado which added to the mixture too. I’m quite sure we went back for seconds!

DSCN1853_294

I also fixed the Lemon Potato Salad on Page 117 of the same issue.  Why did I not think to add some chopped tomatoes since we have so many from our garden?  Oh well, we didn’t miss it.

DSCN1854_295

I WON!

Teresa at Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend recently had a drawing and I was the lucky winner of all these books!

 

 

 

 

DSCN1850_291

DSCN1851_292

 

There was also a Southern Living magazine with simple recipes which I’ve already enjoyed pouring over.  Another surprise addition to the generous gift was Claire Burke Applejack potpourri!  ummm…I’ve always loved that smell.  I’m going to store it away for a few more weeks and bring it out in September when I am eager for Fall.

Thank you SO much, Teresa!!  :)  Go over and visit Teresa and her very nice blog.

DSCN1852_293

Join me today with Michael at Designs by Gollum for Foodie Friday!  You never know what sort of delicious recipes you might run across!

 

Foodie_Friday_Logo_2

7 comments:

Love the Decor! said...

Congrats on the win
Teresa is such a sweetie!

Tammy said...

Girl, I felt the exact same way as you about fish tacos...love fish, love tacos, but both? NASTY.

Then one day I got brave and tried one.

I now regret every year I lived without fish tacos.

If you're ever in Southern California, try one. Not sure how they are in other areas...they were "invented" along the Mexican Baja coast, so I think they do them best out this way!

April@The 21st Century Housewife said...

Congrats on your win! I'm not so keen on fish tacos but I love shrimp ones and yours sound delicious - nice and spicy!

Domestic Engineer said...

You have not lived until you have had the fish tacos at Berryhill. I like the grilled fish tacos with the sauce and cabbage from the fried tacos. Seriously, you have to try them. They are incredible. I know if sounds disgusting, but they are amazing.

Jane said...

Your photos really made the shrimp tacos look delicious! I love fish tacos. We have a Mexican restaurant just down the street from us that makes delicious fish tacos. It's usually what I have every time we eat there.
Have a great weekend.
Jane

Paula@SweetPea said...

You and I must have very similar tastes because I had those two recipes marked to try. I'm glad to get the good review for both and I'll have to put the ingredients on my list to make.

Anonymous said...

Claire Burke has been my fave for years and years!! But hard for me to find it around here. Fish tacos never appealed to me either. I will try the recipe for sure. Have a great weekend. xoxo